neue Beiträge

The lightest paragliding kit possible

Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht

Name: ??????????2.jpg
Ansichten: 1
Größe: 29,4 KB
ID: 830181

Hello friends!

Did you know that a complete paragliding kit can weigh just 6,4 kilograms without sacrificing the performance? Сheck out the calculations in our new article, available at: https://www.ungravity.store/docs/lig...ss-country.pdf

Interesting, how much does your flight kit weigh? Please, let's share the numbers!

Klicke auf die Grafik für eine vergrößerte Ansicht

Name: The world's lightest paragliding kit for cross-country_1.jpg
Ansichten: 1
Größe: 98,2 KB
ID: 830182

AW: The lightest paragliding kit possible

nice report. but how about the skywalk pepper light rescue?

Kommentar

Zitat von Lowdance Beitrag anzeigen
      nice report. but how about the skywalk pepper light rescue?
      Hi! It is amazingly light. The version for 90 kg of approved maximum load weighs just 0.990 kilos according to their web page: https://skywalk.info/project/pepper-cross-light/

Kommentar

I've read the article, but I have some other 2cts to add
        • After two real life rescue uses I'm very sceptical about too small rescues - so to be on a safe side (means having a chance to walk away from the touchdown) I'd suggest to add another 400g for a solid 120kg+ light rescue.
        • The other thing is the minimalistic vario. I understand that the article serves as a vehicle to market your own product, but anything without airspace support (requiring a screen) just isn't serious. So add another 200g for some real thing.
        • Harness type and choice is debatable. (Ultra) Light equipment targets hiking, and many places to hike to require slightly tougher material. So if the gear is supposed not to survive one single X-Alps or to earn record points for the lowest numbers I'd rather invest into some cordura. My own "light" reversible harness comes with full comfort like seatplate & footrest, tough surface, protector, provides enough space for full bivouac gear, it adds only 300g on the the Range-X-Alps/Trek lite combo (plus another 900g for an attachable pod if necessary, good to put i.e. a solar panel on it) - and it is still working after 5 1/2 expedition years. Besides that I've modified it to serve as a tandem pilot harness as well, just in case
        • I agree with helmet (have chosen the same), wing (in a way, but this could be a whole thread all by itself) and concertina.

Long story short: the difference between the pack with most impressive numbers and some really solid lightweight equipment sums up to 0.9kg-1.8kg (depending on pod). Still pretty good, but this way you get it reliable as well (cheaper, too). This is why I question the the fashionable hunt for the lightest flying backpack a bit.

CU
        Shoulders
        Zuletzt geändert von shoulders; 06.04.2018, 11:58.
        Stefan Ungemach
        pfb.ungemachdata.de/

Warnung: der Autor ist auch gewerblich in der Branche tätig. Wer seinen Beiträgen unbesehen glaubt oder ihm was abkauft, ist selber schuld. Und wer einen Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf ihn behalten

Kommentar

Zitat von shoulders Beitrag anzeigen

After two real life rescue uses I'm very sceptical about too small rescues - so to be on a safe side (means having a chance to walk away from the touchdown) I'd suggest to add another 400g for a solid 120kg+ light rescue.

CU
          Shoulders
          Hi Shoulders! I Highly agree with you on all points. Light gear is great, but pilot shouldn't have light brain too. As for myself, I'm choosing rogallo-type rescue for this reasons:

1) I also had an experience of employing reserve parachute. And have to say, that over rocky terrain it is very important to have an ability to direct your descent to a safe place. In the high mountains, like the Himalayas, the ability to land closer to the valley bottom can literally cost a lot.

2) At the extremely high altitudes, one have to think about the impressive growth in descent rate. Steerable reserves convert vertical speed into translatory motion making up to 1.5 difference in descent rate.

Kommentar

I fully agree which is why I also carry a Rogallo in the XC set - and a 120kg (for my 95 with full gear&water) in the other.

CU
            Shoulders

"Echte Vögel kotzen nicht!"
            Stefan Ungemach
            pfb.ungemachdata.de/

Warnung: der Autor ist auch gewerblich in der Branche tätig. Wer seinen Beiträgen unbesehen glaubt oder ihm was abkauft, ist selber schuld. Und wer einen Rechtschreibfehler findet, darf ihn behalten

Kommentar

Lädt...
            X